Saturday, October 10, 2009

Hey Marc Laimon...How good is Shinya Aoki?

Marc Laimon is the head trainer at Cobra Kai JuJistu in Las Vegas. He is an expert grappler and trainer and has trained many of the top level MMA fighters in the UFC and other Organizations. Currently he is training UFC fighters Johny Hendricks and Jake Rosholt. Laimon was also the Grappling Coach for the first few seasons of The Ultimate Fighter TV show. He has competed in and coached JuJitsu at its highest levels. I wanted to find out what an expert thinks about Shinya Aoki's BJJ- so I asked him how Aoki would do in the UFC...since Aoki has been talking about it a lot lately. He answered me- so I posted it.

Hey Marc Laimon-

Just how good is Aoki's BJJ? A lot of people seem to pretty down on him, saying that he wouldn't beat anybody in the UFC etc. I was looking for an expert opinion on his skills.I was wondering where do you think he would rank in the UFC? Top 10, middle of the pack or gate keeper?

Marc Laimon answers-


"I think aoki is very good! His bjj is sick, has been improving stand up , and is very fun to watch. I am a fan of his. I think he is very technical and makes bjj work in mma. With that being said he has been a guy who has got very favorable match ups in Japan. He tends to fight guys that are not great at BJJ, and tends to exploit guys that do not pressure his guard, but rather lay in it and eventually get caught. He fought smart against shaolin and was able to beat him with better striking I really wanted to see how his guard held up to shaolin's passing, but I didn't get to see it.
I don't think he matches up well with a lot of UFC guys I think their is a short list of guys he can beat. I think he would beat clay guida, cause he does not pressure the guard and I think aoki sans pants could still tap him. Great style match up for aoki. Another guys that Aoki matches up well with is Gray, Gray like to lay in guard and I think Aoki could catch him like diaz did, but Gray might be able to try to keep it standing, but he does not posses the bjj pedigree to do anything to Aoki on the ground

Sherk on the other hand really pressures the guard and has passed florian and franca's guards. Not good match up for aoki. BJ, Diego, Edgar Tyson would all beat him easy. This is just off the top of my head. I thinks some mid tier guys he would match up better with, but I 'm to tired to look....good night"


Thanks Marc for answering my question...plus remember to check out the mmajunkie.com forums were Marc can be found answering questions for fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment