Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A WEC PPV?

For some time now we have known that WEC was planning on having a PPV and today we are getting more details. First it will be in April and two belts will be on the line. The Lightweight belt will be up for grabs as Benson "Smooth" Henderson rematches against Donald Cerrone and Jose Aldo will put the bantamweight title on the line against former champ Uriah Faber. The other interesting detail is that the WEC will be twice a year and it will priced at $44.95 roughly the same price as the UFC's PPV.

This brings up the question of will it sell, and is it appropriately priced? I love the WEC so of course I will buy it, so they have me as a customer. But will the casual fan shell out the big money for a product that is akin to one they have grown used to seeing on Versus for free? I hope so. I hope the WEC PPV does well enough that it will bring another stream of cash into the company and that this will lead to bigger paydays for the fighters.

I think that the WEC product is as good as the UFC and because of this I can see the logic in charging the same price. I just hope others feel the same way and the PPV sells so that the WEC continues to thrive and showcase the lighter weights. A twice a year PPV is not that big of a strain when the fan know that the cards are going to be stacked and there hasn't been a bad WEC card in recent memory. I hope others see the value in supporting these PPV for what it could mean to the organization. While there are always going to be the haters, I hope the WEC PPV succeed and intend to support it.

No comments:

Post a Comment